The rest of the conversation…
Mom was deep into delusions about my father last night. She said:
- I asked him to come watch TV or eat but he’s not responding and I worry about this.
- I keep talking to dad but he doesn’t answer.
- He responds when he feels like getting up and having something to eat.
- I think he’s breathing. (at this point I asked her if she could see him and she said she could when he’s on the Island)
- I think he’s in bed.
- I went up to the buildings. He’s not there.
- A lot of this is what I wish was happening.
- In the morning both of us are up doing whatever we want and then we go off to coffee but dad didn’t go this morning.
- I don’t know what’s real.
- I don’t think I’m fixated on what’s real. It’s just that he’s here again sometimes.
- I hope to go to bed soon and snuggle with your dad.
- I’ll see what dad feels like before coming to the mainland again.
She also assured me that she wasn’t suicidal. I don’t think she is but I’m glad I got the guns out of the house.
We did have positive interaction about her joining a grief support group. She said more than once that she’d ask her doctor for a reference for such. I have my fingers crossed. This could help ground her.