Stealth Trip III
After getting my mom through security at our regional airport on Sunday, I returned to her Island home to do the first real 100% triage of the house. Yes, I’ve been there twice without her (Stealth trips I and II), but they were day trips, born of urgent necessity. This time, I spent the night, and was thorough. The following are the notes, in order of taking them, I took during the 22 hours I was there. I’ll post photos when I have time to down load my camera.
- Found a full cup of fruited herbal tea on counter. Fruit flies everywhere. Set apple cider vinegar trap. Caught scads.
- Kitchen sink unrinsed. Dirty dishes from breakfast left out. Happy fruit flies.
- Drinking gin again. Empty bottle in recycle, partially used bottle on liquor shelf.
- Found poppy seeds all over the house in film containers and Ziplocs (oldest labeled 1998). Scattered in the garden.
- Three large crocks of flour. Lots of other redundant staples: Beans, brown sugar, rices etc.
- Toast left in toaster oven.
- Left electric oil heater on in bedroom.
- Found Decon mouse bait bought in 2012. Deployed it. Mouse poop here and there.
- Found 4 film canisters of antique pot, and two packages of rolling papers.
- Found all the fly swatters mom said she couldn’t find last night, in plain sight.
- Tossed 8 bottles of expired over the counter medications and supplements.
- Tossed tofu that expired in 2012.
- Found cash ledgers kept on many envelopes that must help her track the cash she takes out of the bank every month (lots).
- The switch plates in the house are so filthy, I want to replace them.
- Worked on removing all paid bills/receipts older than 2015.
- There are at least 50 Post-it pads deployed in the house, maybe 65.
- There was an old (very dry) mouse poop on the bathroom counter.
- Found 3-4 wall calendars for the same year – all of them had entries on them! No wonder she can’t track anything.
- Found airline information and itinerary I sent her, that she couldn’t find in her e-mail or after printing out, in two places.
- Plant fertilizer on cutting board in kitchen.
- Left car unlocked.
- Found 6 maps of Island in car.
- Tool shed unlocked.
- Box collection moved from her office to tool shed.
- Dangerously narrow path through tool shed to clothes drier.
- Kleenex in every pocket of every piece of clothing. While clothing seems clean, it does make me wonder how often things get laundered.
To be continued.